Thursday, March 8, 2012

I Am Overly Obsessed with World of Goo

I have already written articles on two other blogs about World of Goo, but I had to bring one to this blog as well because of my genuine love for the game. For those of you who have been living under a rock for the past few months, World of Goo is a game that you can play on your phone or computer. I have been playing it for a few months now, and I think I've gone through the full game close to three times. It's just so addicting, and I find myself getting drawn back in every time I think I'm "over it." I can't help it.

In the World of Goo, you basically have to connect chains of balls to create structures that reach out to a tube. The tube then sucks up any of the balls that are not in the structure. You have to get a certain number of balls per level, and you have to go through different obstacles to get through the tube. Sometimes the balls are floating in the sky. Other times they're splashing around in water. You never really know what to expect until you log into the level.

Why do I love this game so much? Good question. Part of it has to do with the unique storyline, but it also has to do with the strategy involved with the game. I don't like games that I can blitz through. I want to think when I play something. In this game, you have to figure out timing and a movement pattern that will allow you to reach your destination. If that is not enough for you, you can challenge yourself with OCD, where you have to complete the level with a specific number of balls, moves, or seconds. There is something in this game for everyone, and I really would encourage anyone to look into it. Your money will not go to waste, I promise.



Reviews of World of Goo

  • "This isn't just the small matter of being one of the best games of the year, it's also the emergence of a stellar new talent in gaming... a game that constantly reinvents itself, reimagining the possibilities, evolving and throwing out surprise after surprise." - Rock Paper Shotgun
  • "The comedy is implemented in bucket-loads, parodying the power of cynical marketing and the corrupt exploits of major corporations... and at this point I struggle to find a way to put into words how a puzzle game can explore so many themes. It's just incredible." - The Dead Pixel Post
  • "I myself gasped at a few points at the sheer brilliance of what I saw in front of my eyes. Words cannot describe how good this game is." - Chris Evans
  • "I honestly don't know where to begin on this one. This game is so startlingly brilliant on so many levels that it's difficult to say 'oh yeah that's the stand out thing' and then begin with that." - full review at Poisoned Sponge
  • "easily the best WiiWare game to date and, perhaps, one of the best this generation" - NintendoWorldReport
  • "brilliant, stunning, and ridiculously fun ... World of Goo is so good that it oftentimes feels like a title developed internally at Nintendo" - IGN
  • "A game so utterly charming, so pregnant with charisma, and so simple in concept, that it belongs in another era." - Eurogamer

You heard them people. It's a badass game with badass characters and a badass storyline to follow. Download it, play it, and get on with your bad self. Mmm hmmm…

No comments:

Post a Comment